Last.FM: Recently listened

Monday, October 31, 2005

Linux Information Day 2005

Last Saturday I took part in this year`s Linux Information Day here in Dresden. I wasn't able to attend these events through the last three years, so I was pretty interested in what these people did there and how it was accepted by the visitors. Therefore I enrolled as a helper and was chosen to be the "track manager" for one of the three track rooms. In fact this position meant that I was inside all the talks, helped the speakers to prepare for their talk, announced their talks and gave information to the visitors.

To me this was a nice job and I really liked the possiblity to get close to the speakers. I really met some interesting guys there, doing admirable things and giving really good talks about it. On the other side of course there also were bad and boring sessions where the speaker seemed to be on drugs or to fall asleep the next moment - hey, but that's the way university goes all the day so there was nothing new or shocking about it.

One word about the geeks: Many of you may have heard or read about these guys. Pale, thick glasses, blains. Of course I am aware that such guys exist, but to me it always seemed, that this should not be the usual description for a computer guy, because I know a lot of people who are not of that kind. During the Linux Day my attitude was put onto a big test: there were countless guys fitting the description. Guys having problems to talk to other people, guys not seeming to know that there are different things in life than computers and Linux and that stuff. Sad thing. :(

No comments: