Last.FM: Recently listened

Friday, May 11, 2007

Splinter

I was experimenting with SPLint yesterday. It is a tool for statically analysing C source code and is able to find errors regarding uninitialized variables, memory allocation errors and such things. Source code can further be annotated to get even more information out of the checker.

What annoyed me when I used SPLint was the amount of output. For my local L4 files it gave lots of errors and warnings. I decided, that colored output might ease the task of reading the interesting parts of it and so I put together a small Python script, called Splinter, which takes SPLint's output and colorizes it, so you can easily find warnings, their explainations, the corresponding function names etc.

It's probably quite hacky, because I wrote it in about an hour, but it works for me and if you intend to use SPLint, you should definitely give it a try. Version 0.1 uses my own private colors. Future versions might get more configurable.

No comments: